A DAILY PRAYER1
Heavenly Father, I bow in worship and praise before You. I now cover myself, all that I am, all that I’m about, and everyone and everything I have authority over2 with the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ as our protection during this and every day3. I surrender myself completely and unreservedly in every area of my life to you, Almighty God, and I take a stand against all the workings of Satan and of his forces that would hinder us and I address myself only to the true and living God and refuse any involvement of Satan in this day or in any of my days.
“Satan, I bring the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ over us as our shield against you and as my absolute authority to command all powers of darkness and all wicked spirits. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, I command you and all of your demons to leave our presence right now and go to where the Lord Jesus Christ sends you, and I forbid you to stay, I forbid you to return to us or retaliate against us.”4
Heavenly Father5, I worship You and I give You praise. I recognize that You are worthy to receive all glory, honour and praise6. I renew my allegiance and devotion to You7 and pray that Your Holy Spirit would enable us all of our days and in our times of prayer.8 I am thankful, Heavenly Father, that You have always loved us, 9 and that You sent the Lord Jesus Christ into the world to die as our substitute, that we would be redeemed10. I am thankful that the Lord Jesus Christ came as our representative, and that through Him You have completely forgiven me.11 You have given me eternal life12. You have given me the perfect righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ and I am now justified.13 I am thankful that in Him You have made me complete,14 and that You have offered Yourself to me to be my daily help and strength.15
Heavenly Father, come and open our eyes that we might see how great You are, and how complete Your provision and protection is for this and every day. I do, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, take my place with Christ in the heavenly realm,16 with all principalities and powers of darkness and all wicked spirits under my feet. I am thankful that the victory the Lord Jesus Christ won for us on the cross and in His resurrection has been completely given to me; and that I am seated with the Lord Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm. Therefore, I declare that all principalities and powers of darkness and all wicked spirits are subject to me in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.17
What is Warfare Prayer?
“Warfare Praying” Warfare prayer is the intentional act of praying against the forces of darkness, the enemy and his demons, through the power of the Holy Spirit. It is primarily based on legal language through the courts of heaven and through the blood of Jesus. It’s about appropriating our spiritual authority to stand with God against the devil and his actions.
I am thankful, my Holy God, for all of the spiritual armour You have provided;18 and I put on the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the sandals of the Gospel of peace, and the helmet of salvation. I lift up the shield of faith against all the fiery darts of the evil one, and take in my hand the Sword of the Spirit, the Word of God, and use Your Word against all the forces and sources of evil in my life. I choose to put on this armour and to live and pray in complete trust and dependence upon You.
I am grateful that the Lord Jesus Christ defeated all the principalities and powers of darkness, and made a show of them openly and triumphed over them in Himself.19 I claim all that victory for our lives20. I reject all of the intrusions, insinuations, deceptions, accusations, temptations, and the hindrances of Satan and of his demons out of every aspect of our lives.
I affirm that the Word of God is true, and I choose to live in the light of God’s Holy Word.21
I choose, Heavenly Father, to live in obedience to You and in fellowship with You. Open our eyes and show us the areas of our lives that do not please You.22 Work in our lives that there be no ground to give Satan a foothold against us23. Show us any areas of rebellion, pride and disobedience24 and all areas that we must deal with so that we would please You in all things.25 I do, in every way, stand for you and the ministry of the Holy Spirit in my life.
By faith and in total dependence upon You, I put off the old nature and stand into all the victory of the crucifixion, where the Lord Jesus Christ completely cleansed me of all my sin.26
I put on the new nature and stand into all the victory of the resurrection, where the Lord Jesus Christ provided for me complete healing, freedom, power, and authority over all sin in my life.27 Therefore, I put off the old nature with its pride, self-will, and idolatry,28 and I put on the new nature with its humility and Christ-centeredness.
I put off the old nature with its selfishness, and I put on the new nature with its love, servanthood, and selflessness in Christ Jesus.29 I put off the old nature with its fear, insecurity,30 and unbelief, and I put on the new nature with its courage, boldness, security, and faith that’s mine in Christ Jesus.31 I put off the old nature with all its deceitful and destructive lusts and sexual impurity,32 and I put on the new nature with all its righteousness, holiness, purity, and self-control in Christ Jesus.33 I put off the old nature in all things, and put on my new nature in the Lord Jesus Christ as my victory, power, and authority to reject and resist all the sins of the old nature,34 and I choose to reject and resist them now in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.35
I do, in every way, stand into the victory of the ascension and the glorification of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God, where all principalities and powers were made subject to Him,36 and I claim my place in Christ, victorious with Him over all the enemies of our souls37. My Sovereign Lord, I yield my life to You and I place myself completely under Your authority in every area of my life. I pray that You would fill me with Your Holy Spirit and take complete control of all areas of my life. Shine Your light and Your truth in our lives. Expose and break down every idol and drive out every enemy stronghold from our lives38. Have mercy upon us, Lord.
Thankfulness in Warfare Prayer
I am thankful, Heavenly Father, for the expression of Your will for our daily lives as You have shown us in Your Word.
I am thankful that You have already blessed me with all spiritual blessings in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus for me to faithfully do Your will,39 and I take hold of these by faith as being true of me.
I am thankful that, today and every day, I can live filled with the Holy Spirit of God with Your courage, humility, righteousness, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control in my life.40 And I recognize that this is Your will for me, and I therefore reject, rebuke, and resist all the endeavours of Satan and of his demons to rob me of the will of God.41 I choose the will of the Lord Jesus Christ for my life, not my own will, and I claim the fullness of the will of God in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. I know that true worship of You involves the total giving of myself, my whole life, to Your lordship and authority.42
I do, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, completely surrender myself to You, Heavenly Father, as a living sacrifice. All that I am, all that I have, and all of my future is completely Yours. I choose to live and exist for Your will and purpose,43 and I pray that You would show us Your will and enable us, by the grace and power of Your Holy Spirit, to aggressively walk in all the fullness of the will of God.
I am thankful, Heavenly Father, that the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but mighty and powerful through God for the overthrow and destruction of all fortresses and strongholds of evil, to the destruction of every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the true knowledge of God. I take every thought captive into the obedience of the Lord Jesus Christ.44
Declarations in Warfare Prayer
Therefore, in my life and anywhere You send me as Your ambassador, I tear down the strongholds of Satan and of his demons that have been formed against us and those ministrations You’ve called me to.
I tear down the strongholds of Satan formed against my mind; and I surrender my mind45 to You, Lord Jesus Christ.
I affirm that You have not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind.46
I break up all the purposes and strongholds of Satan brought against my emotions47 and against my will48; and I yield my emotions and my will to You, and choose to make the right decisions of faith and submission to Your authority.
I break up all the purposes and strongholds of Satan brought against my body and my health49; and I yield my body to You, recognizing that I am the temple of Your Holy Spirit50.
I break up all the purposes and strongholds of Satan brought against my spiritual family; and I entrust and surrender my family to You, Almighty God, and pray that You would set Your holy hedge of protection around them to deliver and guard them from the evil one and all of his schemes and forces, and from all harm and from all evil51.
I pray that You would send Your holy angels to guard us, to minister to us, and to drive out the powers of darkness from our lives and our presence. Reserve and preserve my family for Your will and for Your purpose.
I break up all the purposes and strongholds of Satan brought against any and every area of my life; and I pray, Heavenly Father, that You would set Your holy shield and fortress around me as my protection against all of Satan’s evil schemes and forces52. Deliver me and guard me from the evil one53, and from all harm and from all evil.
I break up all the purposes and strongholds of Satan brought against my marriage, finances, resources, ministry, church, and all endeavours. And I rejoice in Your continuous mercy, Your unfailing love, and Your infinite goodness,54 sovereignty, power, and authority.
Finishing and Sealing
Heavenly Father, I pray that You would reserve and preserve us for Your purposes.
Show us the way that Satan is hindering us, blinding us, 55 tempting us, and deceiving us56.
I choose to focus the eyes of my heart on You, Lord Jesus,57 and trust in You to create and develop in me the faith I need to fight this battle, and to fulfill the course You’ve marked out for me.58
Thank You that You are always with us, and that you will never leave us or forsake us. 59 By Your grace, enable us to be the kind of people that please you. Enable us to be spiritually aggressive in our thoughts, in our prayers, and in our reading of Your Word; and to give You Your rightful place in our lives.
Again, I now cover myself and those people and endeavours I have authority over with the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, and pray that You, Lord Jesus, would bring all the work of your crucifixion, all the work of Your resurrection, all the work of Your glorification, and all the work of Pentecost into our lives today and every day.60
I submit and dedicate myself to You. I yield and entrust my spiritual family, finances, resources, marriage, ministry, church, and all endeavours to You. I refuse to be discouraged because You are the God of all hope. 61 You have proven Your power by resurrecting Jesus Christ from the dead, and I claim in every way Your victory, power, and authority over all satanic forces active in my life, and I reject these forces, and I command them to flee right now in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and to go to where the Lord Jesus Christ sends them, and I forbid them to stay or to return.62
I also extend that authority and command over everyone who is eligible inside my circle of authority. I pray all of these prayers, to the full extent of my authority, to You, my Heavenly Father, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ with thanksgiving.
Anywhere that I don’t have authority, I appeal to the Lord Jesus Christ to do it on my behalf, in Jesus’ name.
What does the Bible say about Warfare Prayer
What is Warfare in the Bible
- This prayer was adapted from the “Warfare Prayer” by Dr. Matthews; printed in The Adversary, Mark I. Bubeck, Moody Press, p. 140 (and some phrases tweaked by Barry and Nadine Pawlak in 2020). Scripture references and some text changes supplied by David Cover, on staff with Campus Crusade for Christ at Missouri University, Columbia. I’ve personally found that it’s important to pray this prayer aloud; your enemy needs to hear it.
- You’ll see [our] or [or…] placed throughout this prayer as reminders that you may also want to name someone else you want to intercede for while you’re prayer this prayer, such as family members, friends, people you’re ministering to, talks or lessons you’ll be giving, members/leaders in your church, etc. Don’t let this make you feel guilty if you don’t have time to intercede right now. Occasionally, you might want to, and this may be of help to you for that.
- 1 Jn 1:7; Rm 3:25; 5:9; Eph 1:7; 2:13; Col 1:19-22; Heb 9:12, 14, 22; 10:19, 22, 23; 11 Pet 1:1-5, 18, 19; Rev 1:5,6; 7:14; 12:9-11. These are all important verses to help in understanding the significance of the blood of Christ in our victory over the powers of darkness and the complete forgiveness for our own sin. There’s nothing necessarily “mystical” about Christ’s blood except that it represents His sacrificial death, which both satisfied the justice of God and rendered powerless Satan’s weapons against us of accusation and death. Because of this, there’s nothing we can do to “earn” our forgiveness and victory over sin. We only need to appropriate it.
- Lk 10:17-20; Phil 2:9-11; 3:20, 21; Col 2:13-15; Rev 5:9, 10; 12: 9-11.
- Rm 8:14-16; Gal 3:26-4:7; 1 Thes 5:5; Jn 14:18
- Rom 11:33-36; 1 Tim 1:17; Rev 5:11-14
- 2 Cor 11:3
- Rom 8:26-27
- Jer 31:3; Jn 17:23; Rom 5:8; 8:35-39; Eph 2:4-7; 2 Thes 2:16-17; Titus 3:4-7; Heb 12:5-12; 1 Jn 4:19. Know these verses so you can better resist demonic accusation against God’s love for you.
- Is 53:4-12; Fal 3:13-14; Eph 1:3-14; Heb 2:17; 9:12; 1 Pet 1:18-19; Rev 5:9
- Mt 26:28; Lk 22:20; 24:46-47; Jn 1:29; Rm 3:23-26; 1 Cor 15:3; Gal 1:3-5; Eph 1:7; Col 1:13-14, 19-22; Titus 2:14; Heb 1:3; 13:12 (see #’s 26, 27)
- Jn 3:16-18, 36; 5:24; 6:47; 10:27-28; 17-2-3; 1 Tim 1:16; Titus 1:1-2; 1 Jn 5:11-13, 20; Jude 21
- Is 53:11; 54:17; 61:10; Zech 3:1, 3-5; Acts 13:38-39; Rm 3:22-26, 28; 4:25; 5:1-8; 8:1; 10:3-4, 9-13; 1 Cor 1:30; 6:11; 2 Cor 5:21; Gal 2:16; Titus 3:4-7
- Col 2:10
- Ps 73:26; Heb 10:17-23; 2 Thes 3:3
- Eph 1:18-2:6; Phil 3:20; Heb 3:1; 9:24; 12:22-24; 1 Pet 3:21b-22
- Lk 10:17-20; Eph 3:10-11
- Eph 6:10-18; Bible verses on each piece of the armour are found in my spiritual warfare notebook.
- Col 2:13-15; Jn 16:11
- Rm 16:20
- Jn 8:31-32; 2 Tim 3:16-17; 1 Jn 2:14b; Ps 199:41-42, 105; Jer 15:16; Eph 6:17; Heb 4:12-13
- 1 Jn 1:6-2:;2
- Eph 4:27
- 1 Sam 15:22-23; Jas 4:6-7; 1 Pet 5:5-8 Pride is directly linked to demonic strongholds.
- 2 Cor 5:9; Heb 13:20-21
- 1 Cor 6:11; Tit 3:5-7; Heb 10:10, 12-14; 1 Pet 3:18; 1 Jn 1:7; 2:2; Rev 7:14 (see #’s 11, 13)
- Rm 13:14; Rm 6:1-13, 22; 8:9-11; Eph 4:22-24; 1 Pet 2:24; Rev 1:5-6 (see #26)
- 1 Pet 5:5-7
- Phil 2:2-5
- Heb 2:14-15; Rev 21:8
- Jn 14:27; Ps 27:1-3, 13, 14; Is 41:10; 43:1-5, 10, 11; 51:13; Neh 6:9; 1 Jn 4:18
- 1 Thes 4:3-8
- 1 Cor 1:30; Gal 5:22-23
- Col 3:9-10; Gal 5:16-21
- Heb 12:3-4
- 1 Pet 3:22
- Acts 26:18; Col 1:10-19; 3:1-10; Phil 2:9-11; Eph 2:6
- Ex 20:3-6; Ps 16:4a; 43:3; 139:23-24; 2 Cor 10:20; Eph 5:3-14; Col 3:5; 1 Jn 5:21; Rev 9:20-21
- Eph 1:3
- Gal 5:16, 22, 23
- Jn 10:10
- Rom 12:1-2
- Ps 4:2b-3 (NASB); Rm 8:28; 2 Tim 1:9; Eph 1:11; 2 Cor 5:15
- 2 Cor 10:3-5 (NASB)
- 2 Cor 11:3
- 2 Tim 1:7
- Eph 4:26-27
- 2 Tim 2:26
- Lk 13:11, 16
- 1 Cor 6:19-20
- Job 1:10; Mt 6:13; Jn 17:15; 2 Tim 1:12b
- Ps 18:1-3; 2 Cor 2:11
- Mt 6:13; Jn 17:15
- Ps 86:5, 12, 15
- 2 Cor 4:3-4, 6
- 1 Pet 5:8-11
- Mt 6:21-23; Eph 1:18
- Acts 20:24; 2 Tim 4:7-8; Heb 12:1-2
- Ps 18:2; 23:4-6; 42:8; 69:33; 73:23; 118:6-7; 144:2; Mt 1:23; 28:20; Jn 10:27-29; Heb 13:5-6
- Heb 13:20-21
- Rom 4:18-21; 5:1-5; 8:24-25; 15:4, 13; Heb 10:23; 11:1; 6:12, 19; Tit 1:1-2; 2:11-14; 3:4-7; 1 Pet 1:3-5, 21; Eph 2:12-13; 1 Thes 5:5-11
- Jas 4:6-7 Submission to God in all areas of your life is primary, and aggressively resisting demonic attack is needed, but secondary. Submission may need to be exhibited over time, and resistance may also need to be persistent, but God’s promise here is that the enemy will leave.